Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning.
Albert Einstein



“Never regard study as a duty, but as the enviable opportunity to learn to know the liberating influence of beauty in the realm of the spirit for your own personal joy and to the profit of the community to which your later work belongs.”














Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Front Loaded versus Integrated Programs


When deciding which programs to apply to i had to take into account what type of program i felt was the best match for me, front loaded Vs inter-grated program.

How did i decide which one was best for me?

Basically with the front loaded program, you have all of your didactics first then you go into clinicals. I basically taught that if i had a solid year of foundations first then i would be well prepared when clinicals rolled around. Basically, i didn't want to look bad in front of the preceptors. I wanted to a least have a good foundation before going into the OR. I wanted to avoid that "deer in heads lights" look. I wanted to basically know what i was doing versus having some idea or no idea of what was going on.

With the inter-grated programs, you go into clinicals soon after you enter into the program. Some people love it because they feel that this is the best way to learn. They go into clinicals all day, then come home to read about what they have done, and read assignments from classes. I image that people in that program probably end up having way more time in the OR and it becomes second nature to them by the time they graduate. That's cool too.

Did i make the right choice?

yes, i made the right one for me by choosing a front loaded program. And my friend made the right choice also for himself by going into an inter-grated program. I feel less stressed (if that's even possible in CRNA school). For now, i just have to concentrate on learning, and when clinicals roll around i will basically be reviewing what i learned and connecting the dots. Others will disagree and that is completely understandable and please share your stories with me. I am always open to hearing about your experiences, please share.

I recently found out they have a hand full of programs that are hybrids of inter-grated and front-loaded. So if you cant decided, go hybrid!!!!the first semester your in didactics and then second semester your mostly in class and you do 8 hours in clinicals, then the 3rd semester you do more 12-16 hours in the OR and so on....

I am enjoying my break right now, and I'm going on vacation in a few days. I'm excited, and when i get back i have some reading to do although we start back at the end of the month, but its the name of the game.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful blog! God willing, it is my goal to enter the CRNA profession, and I am about to take the first step of this thousand mile journey :-) Your blog has been greatly informative and insightful - I'm sure you are touching more people than you know! Many blessings, Manisha

    ReplyDelete