Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning.
Albert Einstein



“Never regard study as a duty, but as the enviable opportunity to learn to know the liberating influence of beauty in the realm of the spirit for your own personal joy and to the profit of the community to which your later work belongs.”














Thursday, November 25, 2010

The anesthesia machine


So, we are currently studying the anesthesia machine. I'm pretty excited.
Its basically used to support the administration anesthesia, and it will be my electronic companion as i administer anesthetics.

I've been in the lab practicing and reading about the machine. The machine in the lab is dirt old, i mean really old, nothing remotely close to the newer machines currently being used in practice. Let me elaborate, imagine riding around and learning how to drive in a 1989-1990 Toyota. When later on, you will be driving a fully loaded 2011 BMW with all the latest features. Get the picture.

I swear, I've never seen anything so old. Sometimes, i pray that this thing does malfunction on me and blow up (that's not gonna happen but I'm a little paranoid i guess). I'm sure that those things must be hella expensive and we can not afford a newer version. We have to do all these calibrations and checks on these machines. And guess what? my classmate, lets call her Blondy, told me that on the newer versions you don't have to do all that work. You just basically hit a button and it does all these calibrations for you. Awesome!!!!

Been reading about the different systems (high pressure, intermediate and low pressure).Fun stuff...Cylinder, gauges, DISS, PISS, common flow valves and all that. I must say, it is all fun and very interesting. I mean, this is going to be how i will be managing people's lives. So, i better be in the library learning the ins and outs of the machines. Just which i could use the newer versions as well.

Anyways, 4 weeks left until the end of the 2ND semester. I'm excited, cant wait the hit the road on my road trip. Finals are coming up, not excited about that but I'll admit the fuel in this engine is slowly running out. Its time for some much need rest and recovery.

Guys, i love anesthesia. I swear, even on my road trip i will be reading more. Yup, I've found my calling.

Wish me luck Y'all
Happy holidays

2 comments:

  1. I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog and this new chapter in your life. Thanks for sharing as much as you do with so little time you have. I was wondering which CRNA program youve enrolled in. Reading from a previous post hope your "blind date" went well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, these are just my feelings that i've decided to document and one day i can look back on then.
    I would love to reveal what program i am enrolled in but i want to be able to vent freely without fear that the program directors would find out (i do complain about some of the professors although some are great).
    I haven't been on the blind date yet. I'm still deciding which guy to pick, since my friend will allow me to date only one (there a tight circle so he doesn't want me to be "passed" around) and i understand his opinion. He is my friend and like a brother to me, plus i'm afraid of blind dates (well one is not technically blind since i've seen him around over the years) but we haven't really talked like that. I'm nercous. LOL

    ReplyDelete