Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning.
Albert Einstein



“Never regard study as a duty, but as the enviable opportunity to learn to know the liberating influence of beauty in the realm of the spirit for your own personal joy and to the profit of the community to which your later work belongs.”














Saturday, November 27, 2010

The most studying i have ever done so far


Man, i tell you, this is by far the most studying i have ever done in my life. I swear, sometimes i get discourage. But i constantly remind myself of my goals and i just keep on moving. There is a light at the end of the tunnel i tell you.

Undergraduate nursing was child's play compared to what I'm doing now. If you though that pharmacology as an undergrad was hard, you are in for a hell of a ride. This is pharmacology on steroids. Plus, my professor cant teach well at all, and it makes it even harder because when you don't understand something and you ask professor "A" to explain, "A" cant. And that just baffles me. I don't get it sometimes, you've been teaching all these years and you still cant explain the concept and you just expect us the read and read and read until we get it on our own. And this only make the situation harder for us.

Some professors are great. I mean, they go above and beyond. You leave their class having actually learned something. And others, you feel like you didn't accomplish anything.

I spend 12 sometimes 16 hours in the library. As an undergrad, i studied a lot as well. I did do some 12 and 16 hours blocks of studying, but those where meanly around midterms and finals. Nowadays, my pushing 12hours every single day. No wonder i have no time to date (i know i know this should not be on my priority list). This one girl in the class complains that she doesn't spend all day studying like some people (i.e Blondy, brainy, cocky and myself, yeah these are some people from class, ill describe each personality on the next post) and "who has time for that" and the next week she was complaining that she didn't pass the midterm and was begging the professor for extra credit. So, i don't feel bad sometimes spending my days here.

Anyone planning on going to CRNA school, just prepare yourself for the long hours in the library, group study and some people wanting to compete with you. I don't understand the last point, why do people feel a need to compete? why cant we just help each other? Anyways, I'm in no competing mood, i just want to learn and graduate. Point blink. Leave me alone, go find someone else who has time for that.

4 more weeks till some must needed rest and recovery.

Peace out.
Going back to studying

9 comments:

  1. I really love reading your blogs! It gives me the motivation to apply for the school! I am starting my LPN program in June. In which I am super excited...but can't wait for the RN! I know in order for you to apply for CRNA school they only require one year in ICU...what do you recommend! And what makes an applicant stand out...like how did you stand out from the others??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck girl. Wishing u all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @odily
    well. if you really want to do the CRNA you only need one year of ICU and i suggest going right out of school to an ICU, thats really hard but if your motivated you can do it, i've done it an seen others do it. if you cant get into an ICU immediately go to pacu for a year then transfer to an ICU of your choice but look at the school your interested in because some school take PICU and burn ICU or neonatal ICU and others dont.
    How did i stand out?
    i had a really high GPA and graduated with honors, I worked in an adult ICU and a peds ICU which is extremely rare for applicants having adult and peds experience combined. I was charge on my floor and did several individual and group projects on my floor such as patient satisfaction survey. And i also took some extra course that work offered such as 12 lead EKG, fluid and electrolyte management of patients and i was preparing to take the CCRN but go accepted before i took it. So i would recommend taking that as well
    good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck to everyone.
    Just passed my NBCRNA boards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats!!!!good job, we all hope to be in your shoes one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am planning to apply this yr to UMDNJ CRNA program .Having 2 small kids ,do yu think I should wait more?Is it that tough!!!Is it possible to work 1 day a week or its impossible to work at all with the course?

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey actually i have classmates that worked full time up the clinicals (actually 2 classmates worked full time) but everyone else was perdiem or not working at all. But since you have 2 small kids, that can be a challenge in itself. if you do decide to apply, have good support meaning that there are days where you'll need to hand the kids off to some one for a few hours to study (you going to need that). i would recommend working full time because actually one of my class mates who worked full time just told me like a few hours ago that altough she passed all the classes her knowledge base is not that great because she didnt spend that much time studying because she had to work. Actually, in clinicals they are killing her with on the spot questions but since she didnt put that much time into studying she lacks a lot of knowledge. Mother hood is a full time job in itself and yes i also have 2 mothers in my class with small children but they have a lot of support and they work per diem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much.I am planning to do just Perdiem as long as I can, while in the program(if I get into the program), also trying to save up some money now for the program.
    I truely enjoy your blog(made to my favorite list) & is very informative.God bless.

    ReplyDelete